Welcome to All Volunteers
Thank you so much for your enthusiasm, and your interest in joining the STC Canada West Coast volunteer team. There are many excellent activities (and teams!) that require assistance. To volunteer, contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
Make a Difference - to your career and our chapter
STC Canada West Coast is changing things up! In addition to our current energetic and enthusiastic volunteers, we’re looking for the additional 1% who can also help the chapter thrive. We are aiming for a fun-filled year where you can learn new skills, try out your ideas collaboratively, and express your passion for our profession. Projects that are underway, but need more “muscle” include
- a student outreach program, to encourage students to join the Society and reap the benefits at a much-reduced cost
- an employer outreach program to provide evidence of how employing technical communicators can add value to their products and services, and how to find those TCers through our free job bank that can only be accessed by our chapter members
- creation of a welcome package & orientation process, to ensure new members feel that they made the right decision in committing their professional development dollars to join us, and
- arranging and recruiting for ongoing programs of interest and value to our members and friends
For instance, we need help with:
- organizing a social /pub /“beers with peers” event in late November/early December (2 to 10 hours, depending on your level of involvement)
- Identifying content from our old website and wiki, according to specific criteria, to be revised and updated before moving to our new website (2 hours to 2 days)
- researching and updating information on employers who currently hire technical communicators, or those who should (1-2 hours per week)
- helping to create a membership survey to identify how our audiences define a “technical communicator” (3-4 hours)
- becoming an editorial liaison for the web team/Coast Lines newsletter/blog - either writing articles on specific assigned topics or recruiting others to do so (ongoing)
- programs team member, working on procuring interesting talent to present at our monthly chapter meeting nights, in person or virtually (1 or 2 hours to ongoing)
- programs team member to help on program nights, at the registration table, perform light set up and clean up, greet newcomers and schmooze (2 1/2 hours per month)
- help create the New Member welcome package, messages, orientation and/or buddy program (1 hour a week to ongoing)
- watch this space, because more opportunities will be listed regularly!
Volunteering Has Its Privileges……
▪ Network with other qualified industry professionals
▪ Learn and develop leadership skills
▪ Boost your career options
▪ Enhance your resume
▪ Gain exposure
▪ Teach others
We look forward to hearing from you!
Contribute to Coast Lines, the online chapter newsletter
Learn more about the submission guidelines and editorial policies of Coast Lines.