Call for Judges
We’re looking for competition submissions, but we need judges too. Judging is a great opportunity to team up with other technical communications professionals and see what is being produced in the industry as well as help raise the level of quality work in our profession. Put your expertise to work as a print media evaluator, online communicator, or technical artist and provide valuable feedback and input to participants.
Benefits of judging the competition:
• See what is being produced in the technical communication profession.
• Have an opportunity to discuss top-tier work with your colleagues.
• Help others in your field.
• Increase your professional network.
STC recommends that a set of professional qualifications be used in recruiting judges. While judges are not required to belong to STC, we want to ensure the quality of judging and that candidates have been selected in a fair and impartial way. The following are some suggested qualifications for local judges.
For publications and online communication:
• publishing background (two articles or one book)
• certification by a communication-related professional organization
For technical art:
• published graphic art or document design work
• certification by or association with a graphic arts association
• degree in technical communication, graphic arts or design, or related field
• five years in technical communication, graphic arts or design, or related field without membership in STC
• senior membership in STC
• teaching experience in communication, graphic arts or design, or a related field (one year full-time or two years adjunct or part-time)
• winner of an STC or other communication or graphic arts or design competition award
Judges do not have to be STC members.
In addition to the providing professional qualifications (established by you), judges must:
• be able to perform judging tasks as a member of a team
• commit to complete the judging within the timeframe of the competition
• be able to attend any meetings that are required
Ms. Annelies Haussler
STC Canada West Coast